Saturday 12 February 2011

Birling Gap - Surfs Up!!

First of all, I had my first comment listed on the blog last week from FP.
Many thanks for taking the time to not only read my posting, but also for logging the comment.

It has been a busy week. I lost a day for editing due to our electricity supplier renewing cables which resulted in having no power for almost a full day. I have somehow managed to tweak my hip which then resulted in chronic back pain for the last couple of days and a trip to the chiropractor for an adjustment. [Jenny Layton, Lindfield Chiropractor]. However for my subject this week, I decided to go to Birling Gap. I carefully looked at the BBC advance weather forecast and plumped for the one sunny day  - Tuesday. Grateful that the sun and my schedule managed to coincide for once. Just as well, as it seems to have rained every other day.

I have passed Birling Gap often, usually on my way home from Eastbourne,  when I take the scenic route round by Beachy Head. In the summer this area is usually very busy. Despite having several overflow car parks, parking isn't always easy. So, it you are not on a tight schedule, try visiting during the week. Alternatively, you could try parking in one of the car parks on the way to Beachy Head and walking over [very hilly]. Or indeed, parking somewhere in Cuckmere and walking from the other direction. [Again hilly]. Remember to have enough time on those parking machine tickets though.

While Birling Gap is busy, the visiting tourists and walkers tend to go about their business quietly and respectfully. The age range of visitors is also very varied. From elderly relatives being taken out for a breath of fresh air to youngsters being encouraged to investigate the rock pools, and all ages inbetween.

Some visitors come to enjoy a cup of tea at the cafe, maybe sit at the outside tables and enjoy the sun [we do seem to get more than our fair share of this commodity on the South Downs]. Others to walk along the top of the cliffs enjoying the far reaching views, getting sea air into their lungs. Some people just want to stroll along the bottom of the cliffs, along the beach, [please check for high tides before the latter,] enjoying the salty breeze or bird watching. Others come to enjoy the sea itself, sitting on the beach, watching the tide go in and out. Whatever your own personal choice, it is definitely worth a visit.

Birling Gap is now owned by the National Trust. Quite a recent acquisition in the scheme of things. When I visited this week the small cafe was open for snacks and drinks, however I believe there are plans to redevelop part of the existing buildings for a shop and hopefully a bigger cafe. Birling Gap is part of the seven sisters, the famous chalk cliffs. Erosion from the sea is slowly eating away at the chalk, redefining the outline. Why not check up on the latest news at the National Trust Link.

For the energetic

You can walk from Birling Gap to Eastbourne [and back].
You can walk from/to/around Cuckmere and the Snake River and back. At Cuckmere, just on the other side of the valley is the famous and iconic white cottages [one previously owned by Dirk Bogarde I am told].
Or you can walk a circular route from Birling Gap. This takes you through the edge of East Dean and with a little detour you could pop into the Tiger Inn [highly recommended] for lunch, or find a spot with tremendous views and enjoy a picnic [but please take all your litter home].

Birling Gap is on the coastal walk which means that your walk can be as short or as long as you wish. Walk up the hill to view Belle Tout Lighthouse. You can arrange to stay there as part of your visit. Minimum stay 2 nights. You will certainly get some nice views from up there.

The Brighton and Hove Bus Company have a regular service from Brighton to Eastbourne which stops at the Golden Galleon, the Country Park [Cuckmere] and East Dean, and it also has a service which passes along Birling Gap/Beachy Head [sundays and public holidays only until April when new summer timetable is introduced - see attached link].

This area is ideal for the active visitors among you and if a mixed group, there should be something to suit everyone.

Want to surf? -  you may want to check out Birling Gap because on the day of my visit, four wet suit clad gentlemen were out enjoying the waves. While the size of the waves were not perhaps equal to the delights of Hawaii, or those found by those dudes in California, that did not seem to be deter these guys.

and....................

On my way home from Birling Gap I was delighted to see Para gliders enjoying their hobby on High and Over near Alfriston and Mount Caburn just outside Lewes. But even more exciting, while parked at the side of the road near Friston Forest, viewing the High and Over Para Gliders, I spotted a Heron fishing. I may not have got the best ever picture of a Heron, as my lens length was too short, [I didn't appreciate the idea of wading out to where it was sitting and I don't think it would have either] however I got 4 photos before it flew off. Job done [I think so anyway!!].

So, apart from maybe thinking I should have called this blog, my travels round Sussex, it is time for this weeks Photos.


If it wasn't for the wetsuit, this photo could have been taken in one of the warmer surfing capitals of the world. I am quite pleased with a few of the surfer pics I took and it was hard to make a choice. This wouldn't get a 20 at the camera club but I love the reflections on the water with the almost silhouette of the surfer relaxing on the sea, enjoying the sun, and waiting for the next big wave to come his way.


Just to prove the above isn't a photo from a previous trip abroad, here are a couple of surfers coming out the sea beside the chalk cliffs of the seven sisters.


A view of the other part of the Birling Gap beach. A bit more majestic with the chalk cliffs stretching into the distance. I have to say the cliffs are not so white when you really look at them, however they are a photographers nightmare, burning out the highlights if you let them. Yes, I did delete a few due the extremely bright whiteness on the wrong exposure.


I have a lot of photos taken from the other side of the water and on a future trip I will introduce you to Cuckmere and the White Cottages [thought the chances are you have already seen many pictures of the scenes] in a later posting. The bench is just waiting for you to visit and take in the view yourself.

It really is a beautiful spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment