Thursday 13 January 2011

Getting out for those photo's.

The weather has been grey and dismal most of the week. [What can I expect, it is winter.] Not the most accommodating weather for glorious photo's. My main camera doesn't mix too well with the rain, tends to fog up. It is not too happy in low light situations either, so I choose my expeditions carefully. Thankfully in Sussex we haven't had the snow that others have seen [nor rain like Brisbane, Australia]. I look forward to future sunny days of frost and hazy light so I can show how wonderful the Sussex countryside looks.

 I would like to say that I am an expert photographer and wildlife expert, regretfully I am neither. I don't know all the ins and outs of my camera's. It takes me to recognize a blue tit from a great tit [I actually can if I concentrate, however I have noticed that I tend to file all these birds under 'blue tits']. Then there is the sadly lacking willpower and discipline.

This can be a bit problematical when I try to get the picture I am after. Lets just say that with my observational skills if it doesn't move I am likely to miss it, or, even worse, I walk past something in a dream and think 'wait a minute', turn to go back and see the back end of a creature disappearing from view. I am also not the most graceful or mobile of beings, which again leads to seeing the rear end of a deer flashing through the trees [if I am lucky].

Sometimes though, [usually when I don't have the camera] when I least expect it, I am rewarded with the sight of a badger making it's way down the trail, late in getting to its den, or a deer peering at me through the under growth, or the sight of them cautiously moving away. That moment of contact when you thank mother nature for her gifts. These are the moments I would love to get on camera. But, will I get up at the crack of dawn and sit in the cold, fingers on the camera button, waiting for the right light or a likely subject to pass by. I tell myself I will. I even order myself out of bed. Sadly, however, the moment passes and I awake knowing another opportunity has passed by. It is an ongoing battle. One day I tell myself. One day, just not this one!

Fortunately I am aware that there are ways of getting great photo's without always having to go through the painstaking work of the professional [though I dream I could get that once in a lifetime shot]. Maybe the results are not always as much of a wow, however they still look good on the wall. There are lots of wonderful sanctuaries out there caring for animals, who for a small fee, will allow you entrance. There are even photography days where you can get up close and reasonably personal. Add to that, the wonder of the digital camera and a bit of luck and once in a while you get a winner [as long as I like it, right!]. There is the Tamar Otter Sanctuary in Cornwall where I got great photo's of otters and peacocks. Near East Grinstead there is the British Wildlife Centre [awash with camera's and photographers] where I have taken a really good photo of a fox and a tiny grass snake and a cute pic of a red squirrel [or two].

There is of course, also, computer software. To some people it seems not entirely on the level - a way of cheating. I admit I am reluctant to use it. I want my photograph to come out of the camera perfect. Untouched. To be all my own work. My eye, my composition, my skill. However, I have to concede that the best photographers do use it from time to time. Take out that blemish or branch you didn't notice. The satellite dish on the old house. The power cables you couldn't do anything about. I also have to concede that way before the wonder of computers and digital processing, photographers used to manipulate images in their dark room. I'm told Ansell Adams carried out a bit of manipulation in his dark room and he is considered one of the icons of photography.

So what? Well, I guess, as long as it is all your own work, and you are honest about it, and other people like the result, then, it is not a problem.

This of course, brings me on the images for this week.


This is another picture of the vineyard, different angle, showing [at a great distance] that the hard work still goes on in the winter months. There is only a month or so where no work is required on the vines. In winter, when they are dormant they are pruned back to a couple of canes. A little later in the year these will be 'tied down' to the fruiting wires, to encourage the vine to produce the right amount of grapes. Not too much so it saps the vines of their vigour and not too little so you get more foliage than grapes! Very technical. The smoke you can see in the photo is from the fire barrel. All the debris from the pruning has to be destroyed so that any disease from the previous year is obliterated. Good housekeeping is essential to a healthy vineyard. The owner designed, and had made, a fire barrel so the cuttings could be burned as the work progressed, rather than them being dropped on the ground for collection and destruction at a later time. This was a great success and has resulted in requests from other vineyards to see it in action. Hence the reason you haven't got a close up here! 


The fungi [as you can see I am very fluent in the correct names of flora and fauna] was found in the wood when I was walking with the dog. I am intrigued as to what could have had a nibble at the second top row. Perhaps it is an indication of some rare creature passing by. Sheltered by the tree, I don't imagine something just happened to brush by it. Else my clumsy feet would probably have annihilated it before I got the photo. It might just be a candidate for the natural history competition at the Camera Club next season. Though I have to admit, I am hoping I manage to get a subject that is just a little more exciting if I want to claim the trophy for the top image. [I can dream can't I?]


Now this I know is a Blue Tit. Frustratingly hard to get a sharp photo of and then when you do, it is so small in the frame people sometimes wonder what you were actually taking the photo of. I have read however, that you have to practice taking pictures of garden birds in order to become really skilful at getting pictures of the more exotic varieties. I got my RSPB magazine today reminding me of the big garden watch at the end of January. Maybe this year I will remember to sit still for an hour and take part. Counting rather than photographing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment