Monday 14 March 2011

Sussex Federation Photographic Competition

No pictures this week. Just photography information.

On Sunday in the community centre at Hailsham in Sussex, The Sussex Federation Photography Print Competition for 2011 took place. Each year a different camera club takes on the role of host. This year it was the joint responsibility of Rottingdean and Lewes Camera Clubs. Lewes [my club] was responsible for the raffle, the door and the refreshments. Rottingdean took on responsibility for the hall and the prints/scoring.

The judge had the prints for ten days to give her time to go through them all [ at least 100 prints] and score them. Technically, there should only be one score of 20, the winner, however due to the high standard she choose 6 x 20 photographs. From these she choose her favourite as the overall winner. Rottingdean, took the prints, collated the score for each section, with a list of the final scores being given to each camera club chairman at the end of the day.

Half time, the chance for a cup of tea/coffee and a biscuit, was after the scores for 3 sets of prints. Then the last 2 sets of prints are shown. Winners announced. Trophies are awarded. The judge thanked and then we end with the raffle. It all takes from 2-30pm until 6.00pm. [Unless of course you were in the vanguard and arrived at 1.00pm]

All the camera clubs in Sussex who are part of the Sussex federation entered 5 prints. Usually what they think is their best 5 prints from the season so far. The prints are then separated into 5 sections, 1 from each club, and at the end of each section, the scores so far are added together, until at the end of the judging, each camera club has an amalgamated score for their five prints. There is an award for the best photo. One for the most improved camera club and of course, a trophy for the winning team.

The 6 photos with a score of 20 were shown together before the judge announced her personal favourite and the individual winner.

Regretfully I have to admit that I can't remember the name of the photographer with the winning picture [sorry], but it was a beautiful photo of a butterfly on a stalk of wheat. I am not entirely sure, however I think the winner was a member of Seaford Camera Club.

The trophy given for the most improved club went to Seaford who I think ended up in third place overall.

Finally, the overall winning team, with the top score for their 5 prints was Rye. They had a very good collection of prints. Which were shown together at the end before the trophy was handed over.

Lewes Camera Club had the highest score they had ever achieved in the competition which placed them in 9th place.

I reluctantly went along to help with the refreshments however I did learn a couple of things.

Before the competition took place I was a little worried on the personal front. I had heard that we had a habit of coming 2nd last. To my mind that meant our photos at the club were not as good as those at other clubs and I personally have been having difficulty achieving a 20. The logical thought with this is that my photos aren't as good as I thought they might be. Having seen the photos at the competition however, I have to say that the top photos in Lewes Camera Club are just as good as the ones on show, and 9th place is above half way. I managed a couple of 19 in the scores this season so in a way my fears are allayed. [Though I didn't have one good enough to be placed in the Sussex federation Print Competition, yet!]

The other thing I noticed in the competition was there was only around 3 or 4 landscapes. The rest was wildlife, staged photos or record style photographs and portraits. The record photographs, even with local competitions, tend not to get the winning score, whether it is a building or a gate or whatever. There was also a couple where the judge felt the titles did not match the photographs [one of my bugbears] and they did seem to catch a lower score. The landscapes did not achieve top scores either, and to be honest, most of the 20's were excellent wildlife photos.

Maybe I am actually trying to take photos of the wrong thing for the competitions. Tonight, at the last meeting of our season at Lewes Camera Club [AGM] when we get a draft of the next seasons schedule and its competitions, I need to think a lot harder about what to take rather than letting fate decide [which I normally do].  It is very hard to take a landscape where the camera shows the wonderful scenery you actually see. I know that it is important to get the right light with just the right scenery etc. However a couple of the photos in the competition were really good. I need to think carefully before putting forward entries in next season. Perhaps I need to think about trying to stage some photographs - flowers or still lifes, or try out some of the techniques I keep reading about. Making up compositions or adding or deleting to the photos, or making a photo with a difference. I need to find something a little different so it is something they haven't seen a lot of before! Better still, some really great wildlife photos.

It's a bit like the secret of the black magic box isn't it. You can't have the answer until you actually manage to crack the code.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment